Monday, March 4, 2013

DIY Fly Fishing Patagonia Argentina: Lower Chimehuin River...The Best of the Best!

Before I start, I would like to mention that you may experience a few format and grammatical errors. Due a broken right finger, I have limited use of my right hand and I am now using a pre-installed Mac voice dictation application. So, I am doing my best to put my best English forward, but I simply do not have the time to thoroughly edit/review everything I type...it would take too much time.  In advance, thanks for understanding.

Due to the broken finger, I have been falling behind on blog post/updates.  I have voice dictation on my new laptop, so I thought it would allow me to stay current. But, for some reason my brain and mouth don't really want to work together.  So, I am back pecking the keys with one finger, but I have decided to keep these post super short and sweet.



Lower Chimehuin Brown on a Hopper


A recent client was kind enough to submit the following testimonial:

I am a 70 year old Swede DIY fisherman, now living in Brazil.  I have been traveling/fishing Patagonia for the past five years.  I still love to walk-wade, but I now find myself needing affordable float trips.  So, I did a Google search and found First Cast Fly Fishing.  I swapped emails with Mark, discussed details and pricing, and I soon found myself on the lower Chimehuin River, with my fishing buddy Mike (in photo).  Mark's guide, Gustavou spoke English and provided excellent professional service and information.  We caught lots of fish during our two week stay in Junin de los Andes, but we caught the largest fish with Gustavou (seen above) on the lower Chimehuin River.  We plan to return next year and take more floats trips with Mark and Gustavou.  I would highly recommend First Cast Fly Fishing, as they provide the most affordable options for walk-wade day trips, float trips, and they can find you the most affordable housing.  See you next year!  

Sture, Sweden  


Hi Mark, I am back in Sweeden and I am already missing Patagonia.  I must thank you for one of the best, if not the best float trips of my life...the lower Chimehuin was every thing you said it would be!  Also, I have been fly fishing for 35 years and in one day with your guide Gustavou, I learned how to read and fish Patagonia waters.  The next day, with Gustavou's advice, I walked the Chimehuin and landed fifteen rainbows weighing 2-4lbs, four browns weighing 2-4lbs and I lost a really big fish! Please thank Gustavou for me...he is an excellent guide and a really nice person.

Mike, Sweden

PS. I was ice fishing today in Sweden and caught the following...


Sweeden Pike  Caught by Super Fly Mike.


Folks, having worked at a lodge in Junin de los Andes, and personally knowing all the waters surrounding Junin de los Andes, here's my honest opinion...

If you had only one day in Junin de los Andes, and you wanted the best float trip, then without question, it would be the lower Chimehuin.  Why? 

  • This section of the river offers up every imaginable fishing scenario possible...especially for dry flies.
  • It's incredibly beautiful, traveling through golden valleys, tree's and then ending in the desert.
  • This section always produces fish, especially when other rivers are slow.  
  • It's a long float, about 10-12 hours.  You get the best value for your $.

Gotta Go,

Mark